- I was shocked (shocked!) to see that Jerry Hairston Jr left the game last night due to injury. He fouled a pitch off his left ankle. No word yet on the severity of it, but he will not play this afternoon.
- In case you didnt see it here, here, here, or here, Jonny Gomes has accepted his assignment to AAA Louisville and (barring anything unforeseen) will likely be starting for the Bats when they open their season this evening. My guess is that if Hairston's ankle is bad enough, Gomes will be the one recalled to replace him.
- Alex Gonzalez played another 9 innings last night and says he's A-ok. He also made a game-changing error, which Dusty likened to a good Gus Van Sant film or total lunar eclipse: "You may not see that again in 10 years."
FanGraphs has been ranking minor league systems, and the Reds came in at #12. This is higher than where Baseball America (#14) and Baseball Prospectus (#19) rank them, and is a bit more in line with where I would personally rank them. They also name them (along with the Red Sox) as the farm system "most likely to improve significantly" this year.
- I know we are only 2 games into the season, but check out these batting lines from our 3 and 4 hitters: Votto - .500/.556/.875 Phillips - .400/.556/.600 Ohhhh yeah.
Joe Posnanski interviewed Michael Schur, who you may know from the Office and "Fire Joe Morgan" (he was Ken Tremendous). He's funny, and he knows a lot about baseball.
- BA has ranked the minor league parks of America (from RLN) and Fifth Third Field in Dayton (home of the Dragons) and Louisville Slugger Field (home of the Bats) rank 7th and 9th, respectively. I plan on seeing a few games in Dayton this year myself, and I would encourage you to do the same.