Joe Nuxhall Memorial Star of the Game
Jerry Hairston, Jr. Cherry went 1-3 with two walks, three runs scored, and 2 RBI. His first home run of the year proved to be decisive. Bronson also pitched a great game, but Cherry gets the nod because, c'mon. How often is he gonna get this honor?
- The Reds took an early lead as second leadoff man Jerry Hairston, Jr. drew a walk, and then Joey Votto did what Joey Votto does. A double to notch his 9th RBI of the young season.
- After Paul Janish shattered the notion that Cincinnati shortstops can't hit with a double in the second, his Brewer counterpart and noted Brendanukkah favorite JJ Hardy hit his second home run of the series to tie the game.
- In the third inning, Willy Taveras demonstrated that any time you swing the bat, you're dangerous by drawing a walk. Then Cherry had our Frisch's Big Boy Big Play of the Game.
- Danny Ray Herrera got some redemption by coming in with runners on first and second and one out in the seventh inning, and coaxed a double play ball from pinch-hitter Rickie Weeks.
- In the ninth inning, Hanigan led off with a single, and other-former-Brewer Laynce Nix scored a Great American Insurance run by plating him with a double. It would have been enough, but Carlos Villanueva decided that Brewers fans' nerves weren't quite frayed enough. Hairston drew his second walk of the game, then Votto hit a single to score Nix and Phillips hit a single to score Hairston.
- Patience continued to be our virtue, as the Reds drew seven walks, including two each to Taveras, Hairston, and Bruce (!), as well as one for Phillips. Really nice to see our top of the order getting on base.
- ...to create HAVOC! Taveras tacked up two more gloves on his wall.
- Edwin had his first error of the season. After last night, it's forgiven.
- Maligned relievers Danny Ray Herrera and Mike Lincoln both had scoreless appearances, and other-other-former-Brewer David Weathers is still perfect.
- Bill Hall got hit in the face with a ball. Good.
- The Reds are over .500 for the first time since April 11, 2008.
|Final - 4.14.2009||1||2||3||4||5||6||7||8||9||R||H||E|
|WP: Bronson Arroyo (2 - 0)
LP: Manny Parra (0 - 2)