The Joe Nuxhall Memorial Honorary Star of the Game
Billy Hamilton did what he is paid (league minimum) to do, getting on base twice to start two rallies to get all the runs the Reds needed. His 2-5 night with a stolen base (as well as a bunt single and always-stellar defense) was what the Reds want from their leadoff hitter of the now and future. Also great-playing were Skip Schumaker (2-5 with 2R and 1RBI) and Brandon Phillips (2-4 with a double, 2RBI and 1R).
Johnny Cueto was his usual no-good filthy self to the point where we don't even realize it. His 7.1IP, 5H, 1BB, 1HBP, 0ER, 7K night was almost a disappointment for not getting the complete-game shutout. He is now 5-4 with a 1.68 ERA.
- It was a three-inning pitching duel, but a nine-inning game. In the top of the fourth, Billy Hamilton led off with a single. Skip hit a single to bring Billy to third, and Brandon Phillips lined another one up the middle to score Hamilton and get Skip to third. After a Bruce strikeout, Frazier hit a single to score Skip. Then Pena hit a double in the RF power alley to get Phillips to home. Lutz hit a grounder that Frazier was able to finagle into getting Lutz to second (while sacrificing himself), but after McCarthy IBB'ed Cozart, Cueto couldn't make them pay more. Reds up 3-0.
- The next inning was led off with a Hamilton bunt single. After Billy stole second, Skip got him home with a single. Then BP smashed a long drive juuust out of the reach of Diamondbacks' CF A.J. Pollock. However, Pollock was able to get himself together in time to throw a rope to get BP at third. There would be no more to the rally, but the Reds were able to make the score 5-0.
- Cueto had a walk and an HBP in the 8th to chase him from the game. Manuel Parra let up an unfortunate infield single to load the bases, but Broxton bore down to strikeout Goldschmidt and pop-out Prado to end the threat.
Fangraphs showing the total number of Reds fans watching
- The Reds' runs came off of hits by their top 3. Sequencing hits is fun!
- The Diamondbacks set a new team record with disgusted bat tosses after pop-fly balls with 7.
- AJ Pollock broke his finger on a Cueto HBP he was too late to duck away from. Dang.
- Man, ain't nobody staying awake for boring road trips to Arizona.
- Shirtless tHom Brennaman was on the broadcast.
- A 4:10 p.m. ET game on Sunday, as Alfredo Simon faces Wade "Dave" Miley. The Reds win and they get the series win.