The Joe Nuxhall Memorial Honorary Star of the Game
2B2P went 3-4 with two doubles, which was pretty excellent. Zackuum went 2-3 and Hoover had a clean inning with a hit and a walk, so those are your honorable mentions.
- This was rough from the get-go. Matt Carpenter led off the game with a double, and a Matt Holiday single brought him home as the Cards went up 1-0 in the first.
- Yadier Molina hit a home run in the 4th. Blargh. Cards, 2-0.
- Brayan Pena hit a nifty double in the 5th, and Pena somehow chugged around the bases on the subsequent Zack Cozart single to score. Cards up 2-1 after that.
- The wheels came off for Cingrani in the 6th. Holliday led off with a single. That was followed by a Craig walk, a Molina flyout, and a Peralta walk to load the bases with one out. Mark Ellis hit a SF to bring home Holliday and Jay hit a 2-out single to get Craig home. Cards up 4-1.
- In the bottom of the 6th the Reds were able to chase Garcia with a Heisey leadoff double followed by a Frazier single and a Phillips run-scoring double. But with runners on 2nd and 3rd, a Mesoraco lineout followed by Bruce and Ludwick strikeouts ended the thread. The Reds only got one; score was 4-2.
- After a fluttering rally by the Reds in the 7th, the Cards piled on in the 8th. Ondrusek let up a Molina single and a Peralta walk. Mark Ellis bunted them over, and Marshall came in to give up singles to Jon Jay and Matt Adams before throwing some goshdang curveballs to end the inning. But Cards were up 6-2.
- RYAN LUDWICK HIT A 9TH-INNING HOMER! AND BILLY GOT A HIT ON A GROUNDER TO SHORT! but Frazier struckout when the Cards' closer was brought in the game. Nuts. 6-3.
This is a Fangraph.
- Gabe Kapler was able to talk about baseball both intelligently and engagingly. He was a lot of fun to have around, and I would love to hear more games of him.
- Cinnerman's line? 6IP, 7H, 4ER, 3BB, 4K. He had a great opening start on April 2, but since then he's been....off, walking too many and not fooling enough guys. I'm not sure what this is about, but I don't like it.
- I dunno, I'm writing this in the top of the ninth and feeling gruff about it. Hopefully something will change.