The Joe Nuxhall Memorial Honorary Star of the Game
Tony Cingrani toed the rubber for his second outing of the Spring, and he generally looked good doing it. Pitchface tossed 3 innings and struck out three Giants, and while he walked three, too, he did manage to pick off two of them on the basepaths. That effort coupled with an overall putrid day at the plate by Reds' batters means that the apple of Cy's eye gets the nod for today's JNMHSotG. I'll wager that we'll be seeing his name in these lights a few more times this season.
Honorable Mentions are due to: Tucker Barnhart, who went 1 for 2 with a double off the wall that would've been out of many parks; Yorman Rodriguez, whose opposite-field double scored Barnhart in an ill-fated rally attempt; and Roger Bernadina, who walked twice to continue his impressive start to the preseason.
- Both squads breezed through the first 4 innings, and the Giants cracked the scoring column first in the Bottom of the 5th off of pitcher Chien-Ming Wang. Wang served up a solo HOMER FOR PANDA to begin the home half of the 5th, and a double by Juan Perez two batters later brought home Roger Kieschnick (who had reached on an error by 2B Argenis Diaz). Ehire Adrianza then singled with two outs to move Perez to 3B, and Perez then scored on a single from Angel Pagan. Reds trailed, 3-0.
- Juan Duran led off the Top of the 6th by reaching 2B on a throwing error from Chris Dominguez, and after a Henry Rodriguez and a Bryson Smith grounder, Moose Mattair singled up the middle to bring Perez home. Reds trailed, 3-1.
- The Reds started their rally in the Top of the 9th, as Barnhart smoked a 1 out double off Jean Machi to the wall in left-center and Ourman followed with an RBI double down the RF line. Neftali Soto smacked a 2-out liner, but it was caught by the Giants' SS, and that was that. Reds lose, 3-2.
- Wang was stretched out longer than he'd been in quite some time, and he got beat around a bit before being pulled.
- Doug Flynn hates soccer and was too tough as a baseball player to even know the name of the Reds' trainer. I know because he spent the 2nd, 3rd, and part of the 4th inning telling me about it.
- Note: I have no other other notes.