The Joe Nuxhall Memorial Honorary Star of the Game
On a day when Dusty let every kid play, man's man Corky Miller doubled in a couple runs in the 8th to make it a game and produce the Reds only runs on the day. Dusty pulled all the starters in the middle innings as the team readies for Tuesday's OGPO in Pittsburgh. It was just as well, as Cozart was the only starter to collect a hit.
- The Pirates were up 1-0 when Jordy Mercer shot a sinking line drive in the second inning towards a diving Jay Bruce. Jay missed. Mercer came all the way around (without a throw) for the ITPHR.
- The Pirates got another run in the fourth. In the eighth, Garret Jones hit a solo shot off Nick Christiani to make it 4-0.
- Corky would have none of this defeatism. After Cesar Izturis just missed a dinger, Corky rocked a double down the line to plate Derrick Robinson and Cesar. Billy Hamilton then nearly beat out a bunt which sent Corky to third. But after a Xavier Paul walk, Neftali Soto grounded into a DP to end the threat.
- Chris Heisey led off the ninth with a single, but was erased by a Jack Hannahan DP. Henry Rodriguez struck out to end the Reds regular season. Reds lose, 4-2.
FanGraph Section that Pretty Accurately Sums Up the Collective Disappointment Felt By Reds' Fans
- The Reds close the books on the regular season with a 90-72 record. Not shabby at all. 91 wins would've matched the 1990 and 2010 squads.
- The Reds set a GABP attendance record, with a grand total just shy of 2.5 million. Apparently nobody goes to the games because it's too crowded.
- HT to C. Trent - in his last 5 ABs, Corky Miller has 4 doubles.
- Catch the OGPO fever! The Reds will head up to Pittsburgh on Tuesday. Game is scheduled to start at 8:00. Johnny Cueto v. Francisco Liriano.
- I was going to write a full post on this, but Ryan Ludwick has been an anchor on this team since he returned. He's hit under .250 with few walks and little power. He's a below-average fielder and runner. Especially considering the spacious LF at PNC Park, he shouldn't be starting the OGPO. Last year was terrific, but that was last year.
- The End.