Joe Nuxhall Memorial Honorary Star of the Game
Mat Latos did what he needed to do today, striking out 7 batters in as many innings, allowing just one run on 4 hits and 2 walks. The run he allowed seemed entirely avoidable, as it came on a softly hit ball that Votto thought BP had and BP thought Votto had. It was nice to see Latos get a good start under his belt before the Wild Card game, after he looked a little shaky in his last outing.
Unfortunately, the offense. When you manage only 4 hits off of Disuke Matsuzaka in 2013, you're gonna have a bad time.
- Not a whole lot happened in the first two innings.
- In the top of the 3rd, Wilfredo Tovar led off with a HBP. He was moved to second base by a sac bunt from Dice-K, before moving to third on a passed ball. Eric Young then hit a broken bat dribbler that somehow split Phillips and Votto, scoring Tovar. Mets lead 1-0.
- Outs on outs on outs on outs.
- The Reds had an opportunity in the 8th. With Robinson on third and Choo on second, Joey Votto came to the plate with two outs, but flew out to center to end the rally. Dang.
- Chapman Champan'd the Mets in the top of the 9th, but the Reds failed to push one across in the bottom of the inning, and that was that.
- As I mentioned in the game thread, Devin Mesoraco's bat has been less than impactful as of late. Going into the game today, he's slashing .174/.170/.261 over the last 28 days. That ain't good.
- The last time the Mets shut out the Reds 1-0 was in April, 1985.
- Jay Bruce had the first multi-SB game of his career. Billy Hamilton was caught stealing for the first time in his career off the same battery. Baseball is weird.
- The Reds record in September against winning teams: 8-2. Their record against basement dwellers: 3-7. Baseball is weird.
- As of press time, the Cards are up 4-1 in the 8th, and the Pirates are tied 1-1 with the Cubs in the 5th. If the Cubs can pull it out, the Reds would need 2 of 3 to have the Wild Card game at GABP. If the Pirates win, the Reds would need a sweep.
- The Reds have fallen on hard times.
- I'd love to see these guys live.
- Bossanova boss.