The Joe Nuxhall Memorial Honorary Star of the Game
Joey Votto went 1-3 with a walk and a solo home run in the bottom of the ninth. That's pretty danged good, you know, and by far the best effort of the game for the Redlegs.
Honorable mention goes to Greg Reynolds, who let on 7 baserunners in 6 innings and really did everything possible to give the Reds a chance to win the game. Unfortunately, they didn't take it.
The Supergrover Memorial Fan of the Game
Ol' Pete's been running around these parts for a while. Longer than me, I reckon. And he's never been nothing but a fun guy to be around and a valuable member of the community, even though he's a Brewers fan. He's been around here when the Brewers were flying high, and he's been here when they're flying a bit less-high. But he's always been more polite in Brewers wins than I'd be, and more sanguine about Brewers losses than he has any right to be. He's survived some terrible bullpens and some terrible Brewers seasons as well as Reds seasons. He's great to be around, and he's never really gotten his due. Hopefully this is that due, somewhat.
- In the second inning, Carlos Gomez was hit by a pitch to leadoff, and a coupl batters later, Caleb Gindl hit a homr to put the Brewers up 2-0.
- Marcos Estrada struck out nine Reds. That number feels like it's missing a zero.
- Manny Parra came in to relieve in the seventh. He let up a Yuni single (?!) to leadoff the inning. A bunt and a ground-out got Betancourt to third before LeCure relieved Parra. LeCure let an inherited runner score, oddly enough, and the Brewers made it 3-0.
- In the top of the 9th, Joey Votto hit a homer to get the Reds close, but they still lost, 3-1.
- Cardinals down 4-1 in the 8th at time of writing, Pirates and Giants still scoreless in the second. Reds are 3 games out of that first-place tie until any resolutions forthcome.
- These games sorta happen, so it's tough to get too worked up about. Especially if you spent the whole game trying to work out footnotes, infras, and supras, like I have.
- But it's a beautiful Sunday, so summer songs, yo.
- Summer songs.
- Summer songs.