The Joe Nuxhall Memorial Honorary Star of the Game
Several of our Redlegs had solid evenings in this rain shortened affair, but none had quite the night that Todd Frazier had. Not only did he go 2 for 3 with an RBI single and a 440+ foot HR to the second deck behind Left Field, but he also did so on command as the talented, effervescent, worldly, neutral, savvy, unagenda'd ESPN Monday Night Baseball crew was hyping is power potential throughout the early innings. It's good to see Todd bust loose from the slump that had gripped him through most of June, and to do so on command so that the entire East Coast media could see it is, well, Fly to the Moon worthy.
Hat tips are due to Bronson Arroyo, who tossed a complete non-complete completed game while allowing just 1 ER on 2 hits; Jay Bruce, who went 2 for 3 with his 25th double of the season; Brandon Phillips, who went 2 for 3 with 2 runs scored; and Zack Cozart, who continued his newfound assault on mere mediocrity with a 1 for 2 evening that featured an RBI double and a sac fly.
It rained quite freakin' hard tonight. 'twas a narrative.
- The Reds put on their fun shoes for the first time in weeks, and in the Bottom of the 2nd they commenced boot-scootin'. BP led off with a single off of Giants' starter Michael Kickham (St. Louis native), and Jay Bruce followed with an opposite field double to the wall that left runners on 2nd and 3rd with nobody out. Todd Frazier followed with a single that scored Phillips, and Zack Cozart then plated Jay Bruce, who had moved to 3rd, with a sac fly. Ryan Hanigan reached on an infield single (!!!), and Bronson Arroyo's bunt moved the runners to 2nd and 3rd. Derrick Robinson then stepped in, and the threat of his bunting coupled with the threat of Dusty calling for a bunt with 2 outs and runners on 2nd and 3rd caused 3B Pablo Sandoval to be pulled in, and Robinson's high chopper cleared the Panda and went for a 2 RBI double. Reds led, 4-0.
- Joey Votto led off the Bottom of the 3rd with an "infield single" to 3rd, and he moved to 2nd two batters later when Jay Bruce singled to CF. Todd Frazier then HIT BALL SO HARD THAT SHIT FRAYZ, and the Reds suddenly had their biggest lead since Farney and Ash were both single. Bronson cruised, allowing nothing other than a GABP special to the Baby Giraffe (likely as a sign from the Baseball Gods that Jim Day is being watched), and a Zack Cozart RBI double threw some extra shade on the Giants. The rain wrapped things up like it was a 3 inning Aroldis Chapman save afterwards. Reds win, 8-1!
FanGraph Section that Looks Odd Because WTF Rain?
- Joseph Daniel Awesomesauce struck out 3 times tonight for just the 4th time all season. Coincidentally, the other 3 times he's struck out 3 times in a game this season were all against the Chicago Cubs. Odd, I know, but the Cubs certainly know about striking out.
- Big Time Timmy Jim will take the mound opposite David DeWitt Bailey tomorrow at 7:10 PM ET in the second game of the series, assuming there's no rain, of course.
- Our very esteemed Reds colleague, jch24, sent out this picture shortly before the game was called. That's some freakin' rain.
- Jam again!