The Joe Nuxhall Memorial Honorary Star of the Game
You get the big hit, you get the big award...that's just how it goes.
Brandon Phillips delivered the winning hit tonight, a game winning RBI single up the middle that scored Derrick Robinson, and that gets him tonight's JNMHSotG. Props to BP for the big hit given how he's struggled since the Pirates beaned him and he missed the better part of a week.
Hat tips are due to Jay Bruce, whose HR tied things in the 9th and ended Jason Grilli's spotless start to the season, Bronson Arroyo, whose 7 IP, 0 ER performance tonight lowered his ERA to nearly 3 and proved that Saturn Nuts are indeed the best way to come back from a deflating loss, and Sam LeCure and his good friend Cornelius, who combined to #BeEasy for 2 innings of shutout relief.
- The Reds had their first two runners of the game on base tonight, as Derrick Robinson led off with a walk and Shin-Soo Choo followed by reaching on an error by 1B Garrett Jones. Unfortunately, Joey Votto grounded into a fielder's choice and Brandon Phillips followed with a GIBP to end the threat.
- The Reds came close to scoring in the Bottom of the 2nd, too, and getting close to scoring now unfortunately warrants mention in the Key Plays section. Zack Cozart walked with 2 outs, and he rounded 3B and tried to score on a double down the line by Ryan Hanigan; unfortunately, he was thrown out at the plate thanks to a solid job by Starling Marte and Neil Walker.
- The Pirates broke the seal in the Top of the 3rd thanks to another triple by Marte. Russell Martin followed with a ball up the middle that hit off of Bronson Arroyo's glove, and the Reds were unable to get an out (and the play was ruled an error on Arroyo).
- Things remained bleak for our Redlegs until the Bottom of the 9th, but that all changed when Jay Bruce took matters into his own hands. Bruce hit a line-shot off of Jason Grilli, and we all danced like idiots. Game tied, 1-1, and to extras we went.
- The score remained the same until the Bottom of the 13th, when the Reds finally busted loose. Robinson reached on an infield single, and Choo followed with a single to RF. Joey Votto was walked intentionally to set up a potential double play, but Brandon Phillips used that to the Reds advantage with a single up the middle that scored Robinson to end the game. Reds win, 2-1!
FanGraph that Sucked Mightily Until OHMIGOD THE REDS WON
- Jay Bruce for mayor. Seriously, he already has mayor-like hair.
- Manny Parra got the win tonight. I don't make the rules.
- I'll say it: Derrick Robinson has been a revelation for the Reds thus far this season. He's essentially replacing Chris Heisey as the utility OF (since Xavier Paul has received the bulk of the LF starts in Ryan Ludwick's stead), and he's hitting .278 with a .374 OBP at this point of the season. Could you ever, in your right mind, expect even comparable numbers from Chris Heisey? Sure, the power's not there, but since he's been asked to be a leadoff hitter vs. LHP, he's excelled and...well...Walt Jocketty has shown he can find a gem amongst anything yet again.
- Wilco Wednesdays? Wilco Wednesdays!
- Mas tunes! If you live near ken, go take pictures of him dancing in his living room. Don't look creepy while doing so, though.