The Joe Nuxhall Memorial Honorary Star of the Game
Mike Leake, fresh off of the relief of not being sent to Louisville when Johnny Cueto made his return, was positively dominant tonight, and he gets the nod. Leake tossed 7 shutout innings, allowing just 3 hits and 2 walks while striking out 4. With tonight's result, Leake has lowered his season ERA to 3.25 which, for you conspiracy theorists, is now lower than Tony Cingrani's MLB ERA of 3.27.
Commence argument about how they match up over 24 other statistical categories.
Honorable mentions are due to Devin Mesoraco (1 for 3, 2 RBI, HR); Todd Frazier (2 for 4); Joey Votto (1 for 3, BB, yawn); Chris Welsh (Hi Chris!); and Sam LeCure (1 scoreless inning to lower his season ERA to 1.35...#beeasy).
- Offense in this one was terribly hard to come by, but the Reds got what they could (and what they shouldn't have) in the Top of the 1st. After Derrick Robinson and Zack Cozart were retired to start the game, Joey Votto walked, Brandon Phillips singled, Jay Bruce walked, and both Votto and Phillips scored when Todd Frazier hit a grounder through David Wright's hundred million dollar legs. Donald Lutz then reached on a softly hit infield single, and Devin Mesoraco walked to drive in Bruce. Reds led, 3-0.
- In the Top of the 9th, Devin Mesoraco cored a big apple deep to LF for his 2nd HR of the season. Since Mike Leake and Sam LeCure had breezed through the first 8 innings, all Logan Ondrusek had to do was shut down the 9th, which he did. Reds win, 4-0!
- Even when JTM tries to ruin things, I still love when Chris Welsh and George Grande are together again.
- Despite starting the season with a 1-8 record in road games, the win tonight leaves the Reds at an even 12-12 away from GABP. If they can keep up their recent trend on the road, their winning ways at home will make them nearly impossible to beat in the NL Central division race. Last year, both the Reds and the Cardinals had identical 50-31 home records; on the road, the Cardinals were 38-43 while the Reds were 47-34.
- Once upon a time, there existed Tupelo Tuesdays. It's high time we resurrected this.
- Chris Welsh is Magnum P.I.!! HOW ELSE DID HE FIND US???