The Reds won't allow Cueto to play in the World Baseball Classic - Dusty has publicly stated that he'd prefer that Cueto not pitch in the WBC. The Reds are able to prevent Cueto from participating because he finished the season on the DL. Surely Johnny is disappointed, but one would think he understands.
- It's still not clear whether or not Votto will suit up for the Canadian squad however - Joey has been added to the roster for the Canadian team, but has yet to commit to playing. Votto certainly enjoyed himself in the last World Baseball Classic, so barring any major developments it seems likely that he will play (perhaps in a limited role).
- Slyde was pimping the 2013 Redleg Annual on the radio yesterday - He did a full segment, in studio, with Mo Egger. He talked about fart jokes, blogs, and most importantly... the 2013 Reds. Great radio, give it a listen.
- Some folks in Chicago are worked up over some comments by Brandon Phillips - Apparently BP believes he should have won the Gold Glove last year. After finding out Darwin Barney had won the Gold Glove, BP says he thought he "was getting punked when I heard about it."
Which teams "Won the Winter?" - The Wall Street Journal ranks the teams with the best off-seasons, according to projected WAR added. The Reds come in at number 8, with +3.4 WAR, thanks in large part to the Choo trade. The WSJ thinks the Cubs and Pirates got considerably better this off-season, while the Cardinals took a small step back.
- Doug Gray provides a list of some position player prospects to watch in spring training - The usual suspects make appearances. Doug notes that none of the players on the list are likely to make the team out of spring training unless injuries arise. Of course, the first time Billy Hamilton does anything of note, or Choo makes a mistake, you know many will be calling for Hamilton.
- Pete Rose pleads with Topps to stop rewriting history - Pete deserves much of what has happened to him, but this thing is just ridiculous...