- Bronson Arroyo was born in Key West, Florida, and grew up in nearby Brooksville. He attended Hernando HS, which he notably shares with two professional wrestlers I've never heard of. Neat.
- He was drafted in the 3rd found of the 1995 draft by the Pittsburgh Pirates, which makes him sound pretty old. Others drafted in his round were the likes of Randy Winn, Ryan Dempster, and a guy who's already MANAGED in the majors in A.J. Hinch.
- In that same draft, the Reds drafted Brett Tomko in the 2nd round as their only pre-Arroyo pick. Can you name the 3 other ex-Reds drafted in the first two rounds of that draft (by other teams)?
- He moved up the Pirates system pretty methodically. He went about a level a year, needing two seasons to get through AA.
- He made his debut in the Pittsburgh bullpen in 2000 at age 23. His tenure in Pittsburgh can be described as average to below-average. At age 26, the Pirates tried to pass him through waivers, and he got picked up by the Boston Red Sox.
- The Red Sox sent him to AAA for most of the 2003 season, where he thrived. He came up for a few bullpen appearances before making it into Boston's rotation in 2004, where he spent the entire year. He started 2 games in the playoffs on Boston's historic run to win the World Series.
- He established himself as a workhorse, surpassing 200 innings for the first time in 2005. He's done it every year since except 2011, when he was 1 inning short.
- After being acquired by the Reds in the best month in Wayne Krivsky's history, he made the NL All-Star team for the first time, with a 9-6 record at the break. The Reds did not make the playoffs.
- He signed an extension in 2007, and again in 2010. He's been remarkably consistent since then.
Drafted/Signed: by the Pittsburgh Pirates in the 3rd round of the 1995 amateur draft. Player signed June 1, 1995.
Selected off Waivers: by the Boston Red Sox from the Pittsburgh Pirates on February 4, 2003.
Traded: by the Boston Red Sox with cash to the Cincinnati Reds for Wily Mo Pena on March 20, 2006.
MLB Service Time: 10.150
Current Contract Status: 1yr/$6.5M
|162 Game Avg.||12||11||4.23||36||32||1||0||207||28||59||135||104||1.305|
|CIN (7 yrs)||91||82||4.09||233||233||12||5||1488.1||220||399||988||106||1.283|
|PIT (3 yrs)||9||14||5.44||53||29||1||0||187.0||23||85||111||84||1.615|
|BOS (3 yrs)||24||19||4.19||73||61||0||0||401.1||39||105||256||112||1.243|
|NL (10 yrs)||100||96||4.24||286||262||13||5||1675.1||243||484||1099||102||1.320|
|AL (3 yrs)||24||19||4.19||73||61||0||0||401.1||39||105||256||112||1.243|
Ratings via TheBaseballCube:
No surprises here. Control is the name of Bronson's game.