Scotty Baseball was 2 for 2 with 2 walks and a run scored, and also made several vintage Scotty plays on defense. Don't look now (ok, you can look), but Rolen's season OPS is higher than Stubbs, Cozart, Mesoraco, and Hanigan (and Cairo and Valdez, of course). Not bad, old man. I just hope it's not a mirage.
Hat tip to Zack Cozart, who went 2 for 5 with a solo HR.
- The game began as a pitcher's duel, but Bronson Arroyo rapidly deviated from that script beginning in the 5th. After Not Candy Maldonado doubled off the wall, pitcher Yovanni Gallardo singled him in to break the seal. In the 6th, Bronson got Ryan Braun* to fly out, but promptly gave up back to back jacks to Aramis Ramirez and Corey Hart. Rickie Weeks (Rickie Weeks?!) then singled, and not Candy homered. Bronson was chased, and the Brewers lead, 5-0.
- Cozart hit a solo blast in the top of the 7th, and the Reds mounted a rally attempt in the 8th. Jay Bruce singled after a lengthy at bat, and Scott Rolen later hit a ground rule double to put runners at 2nd and 3rd. Todd Frazier worked a walk, and pinch hitter Xavieru Paul singled in Bruce. Dioner Navarro, who had earlier replaced Ryan Hanigan in a double switch, hit a sharp liner to right field, where Noriboomchickarockachickarockachickaboom Aoki made a diving stop to save at least 2 runs. Rolen tagged and scored, but the rally was muted. The Brewers tacked on another run in the 9th, and that was that. Reds lose, 6-3.
- Today's loss coupled with yesterday's marks the first back to back losses by the Reds since July 3-5, where they lost three in a row on their Weezt Coast trip.
- Both the Cardinals and the Pirates won tonight, each picking up a full game on the Reds in the standings. The Reds' NL Central lead sits at 3.5 games.
- Mat Latos now owns the second best ERA by a Reds starter; two weeks ago, his was the 5th best.
- Johnny Cueto takes the mound tomorrow against the Brewers for the second game of the series. Game starts at 8:10 EST. Here's to hoping he kicks some tail and the Reds' bats blow up the spot.