Mes reacts to the shant-be-named umpire the same way he did when he was told he was being traded to the Padres last Winter. Unfortunately, tonight's news wasn't a practical joke.
The Joe Nuxhall Memorial Honorary Star of the Game
Jay Bruce gets the nod, as he was 2 for 3 with 2 runs scored, a solo wanger honked, and 2 walks. After his homer at Coors and tonight's performance, Reds nation is eagerly anticipating another hot streak from Young Hova. Drew Stubbs deserves mention, too, as he continued his Player of the Week level performance with a 2 for 5 night that included a solo homer, SB, and 2 runs scored. His hot streak tonight finally got his season OPS over .700, too.
- I'd go through each of these, but that would make the Recap nearly as long as the 4 hour game. So I won't.
- The Reds struck first with a Stubbs homer and a two-run Ryan Ludwick double, taking a 3-0 lead off of former Red Edinson Volquez. That didn't stand up long, however, as Mike Leake allowed 5 runs in the top of the 2nd and was chased from the game before completing two. Alfredo Simon was summoned, but he was just as bad, allowing 4 more runs in the top of the 3rd.
- Bruce homered, but that run was countered by a Yonder Alonso RBI. Old Man Rolen singled in another Reds run in the bottom of the 5th, and that was the end of the Reds comeback attempt and, consequently, their 10 game win streak. Reds lose, 11-5.
At the time of this post, the Cubs are currently undressing the Pirates to the tune of 14-4. Assuming they don't bring in Carlos Marmol to walk away that lead, the Reds will maintain their 3 game lead in the NL Central. The Cards were idle, but still obnoxious.
- Thus endeth the longest Reds winning streak since 1999. That was fun though, wasn't it?
Song. There, that makes me feel better.
- Devin Mesoraco bumped an ump after arguing balls and strikes and was tossed. He'll likely get a suspension, but if that comes down tomorrow I would expect the Reds to appeal, thereby delaying any 40/25 man roster shuffling until after the trade deadline (and any additional moves).
- Trade deadline tomorrow at 4 Eastern! Nerd holiday!