The Joe Nuxhall Memorial Honorary Star of the Game
A night after having the worst game of his career, Brandon Phillips responded the way you'd like an All-Star to respond. Phillips went 2 for 4 tonight, homering and scoring twice. He also managed to do all of that while only seeing 6 total pitches. Hmm.
Honorable mention to Ryan Ludwick, whose 3 run double gave the Reds a cushion they would ultimately need; Aroldis Chapman, who made the Pirates look downright silly with a perfect 9th and a save; and Johnny Cueto, whose first 7 innings were spectacular (and should've been his only innings, but I digress).
- Brandon Phillips must have chugged 8 cups of Gatorade, because he was anxious to break the seal tonight. Phillips took the first Brad Lincoln pitch he saw in the Bottom of the 2nd out to right-center field. Reds lead, 1-0.
- The Reds piled on in the 4th. Joey Votto led off with a single, and Brandon Phillips followed with one, too. Jay Bruce struck out (sigh), and Todd Frazier walked before Ryan Ludwick cleared the bases with a double past the Best Player in the NL Central (non-Votto edition). Just to add insult to injury, GBSAMBB's second favorite Red to hate, Ryan Hanigan, singled to score Ludwick. Reds lead, 5-0.
- Johnny Cueto was surprisingly brought out to start the 8th inning despite sitting at 101 pitches already. He promptly gave up a sharply hit double to Rod Barajas and a single by pinch-hitter Pedro Alvarez. jch05 hit a sharp liner right at Brandon Phillips, and though Dusty came to talk to Cueto with Marshall warm in the bullpen (and Cueto over 110 pitches), Cueto stayed in the game...again. He managed to strike out Alex Presley (but let's be honest...who hasn't?), but then allowed a Neil Walker single to break up the shutout. He was pulled for Logan Ondrusexy, who gave up a 3 run bomb to the 2nd best player in the NL Central. Reds lead, 5-4.
- We have Aroldis Chapman, so we won. Reds defeat Pirates, 5-4!
- Joey Votto did not have a single player on base during an At-Bat tonight. Sigh.
- Chapman needed only 9 pitches to retire the Pirates in the 9th (with 2 Ks). #LetHimStartTheAllStarGame
- The homer by BP in the 2nd marked the 52nd consecutive game in GABP that has featured a HR.
- Nobody was at the game tonight. Pretty much.
- Mike Leake will take the mound vs. Kevin Correa tomorrow in the rubber match. First pitch is at 5:10 my time, y'alls.