The Joe Nuxhall Memorial Honorary Star of the Game
Though he's been streaky as can be for most of the season, Zack "MVP/GG" Cozart was in the house tonight. Of the Reds 9 hits, exactly zero of them were for extra bases, but Cozart managed 3 singles in his 5 ABs, scoring 2 of the 4 Reds runs in the process (with a SB for good measure).
Honorable mentions are due to the inimitable Joey Votto, who was 2 for 4 with a SB, BB and 2 RBI; Drew Stubbs, who walked twice in front of Votto (and stole a base); and Jose Arredondo, who pitched 2 scoreless innings out of the pen.
- The Reds got off to a quick start, scoring twice in the bottom of the first off of a Joey Votto single and Jay Bruce sac fly. Unfortunately, the pitching couldn't keep the lead, promptly giving both runs back via hits by Clint Barmes and Casey McGeeheeheehee. Game tied, 2-2.
- The Buccos continued to lay it on Homer in the 3rd, as Neil Walker took him deep for a 2 run shot. Later in the inning, Barmes again came through with an RBI hit, this time scoring two. Pirates lead, 6-2.
- The Pirates tacked on two more runs via solo donkers by McGeehee and Alex Presley, and though the Reds attempted to rally multiple times, the best they could manage was two separate small-balled runs when larger opportunities loomed. Reds lose, 8-4.
- To be blunt, tonight was not Brandon Phillips' night. BP went 0 for 5 with 4 K's, leaving 7 total men on base. Ouch. Being the consumate teammate that he is, Chris Heisey did the best he could to make BP not feel lonely, going 1 for 5 with 3 K's, including a K to leave the bases loaded in the 7th and a K in the 9th with two men on to end the game. Nuts.
- A snuggie and some cocoa couldn't have made Homer look comfortable tonight. Though he's been solid this season (and lights out against PIT in his career), Bailey was rocked tonight, exiting after 3 IP having yielded 6 ER on 8 hits. Maybe we should refer to him as David on days he pitches. Who knows?
- With this win, the Pirates move to 2 games back of the Reds in the Central, having won 8 of their last 10 games. Big one tomorrow!
- Mike Leake of early was godawful; Mike Leake, of late, has been awesome. I dare you to out semi-colon that comma, expletives