The Joe Nuxhall Memorial Honorary Star of the Game
Much like any Kardashian, this one was a no-brainer. Mike Leake (Mike Leake!) threw his first career complete game, yielding only a single run in the process. Leake also pitched in with a solo husker du and another liner off of Matt Cain, and that's pretty dang fantastic. #LetHimStartInLF
Very, very, very honorable mention is due to Jay Bruce, who obviously reads RR and was motivated to post a 4 for 4 night with 3 RBI...on the road! Joey Votto was 3 for 5 as well, but that's just par for the course for Superman.
- 'tHom had barely settled in to his self loathing aggrandation when, lo and behold, Zack Cozart busted up the Giants' 36 inning scoreless streak with a solo shot on the first pitch of the game. That'll do, pig. Reds lead, 1-0.
- Solo shots are rally-killers, right? Wrong. Drew Stubbs followed with a walk, and Joey Votto doubled to deep left. Brandon Phillips, back in the lineup after being a bit brain-woozy yesterday, was smart enough to know that Jay Bruce had a double in his Louisville Slugger, and politely deferred to Hova for the damage. Bruce delivered, and Stubbs and Votto scored. Reds lead, 3-0.
- Midway through the 6th, Mike Leake Mike Leaked! That's awesome. Reds lead, 4-0.
- This wine is tasty. Oregon Pinot Gris. Do you know the difference between Pinot Grigio and Pinot Gris? Neither do I. I'm pretty sure it's just Italian for "One is cold in the fridge and one is warm with dust on it in the corner." I digress.
- Brucey Bruce Bruced another Bruce in the 8th, scoring BP. Leake gave up an inconsequential doinker to Kung-Fu Panda in the 9th, but proceeded to wrap it up for a solid CG. Reds win, 5-1!
- Don't look now, but Leake's 2012 ERA is down to 4.12. We all tend to have Leake pegged as a "fast starter" based on his undefeated start to his non-minor league rookie season, but maybe (with 2011 as a reference point) he's just a bit of a slow starter and fast closer. 2012 is shaping up quite well for Leake, which bodes quite well for our Reds. Extension?
- Joey Votto was slumping? Hahahahhahahhahahahahhaa.
- Song O' The Night....enjoy!
- Reds vs. Giants again tomorrow. Yay late games!