Hail to the king, baby.
The Joe Nuxhall Memorial Honorary Star of the Game
Tonight, June Walt Jocketty is smiling at December Walt Jocketty. Heck, June Bob Castellini probably gave December Walt one of his stogies, too. Their big offseason acquisition gave exactly the kind of performance the Reds' braintrust had envisioned when they sent 3 MLB caliber players (and Edinson Volquez) to the Padres in the offseason. Mat Latos was dominant, striking out a career high 13 batters while throwing a complete game, 1 run effort. At one point, the big righthander threw 24 consecutive strikes, which (according to our former fearless leader) is a Reds record dating back as far as those stats began to be kept. He also went 2 for 3 at the plate, which was better than BP. Latos for cleanup!
Jay Bruce pitched in with a big 2 RBI opposite field double, and Brandon Phillips had a late double to give the Reds an ultimately unneeded insurance run. Drew Stubbs was also solid in his return from the DL, going 2 for 3 with a BB, 2 Runs, SB, and a Stouble. Bada-bing.
- The game was quiet until the 4th, when Drew Stubbs led off with a double, and Joey Votto followed with (wait for it) a walk. Silly Stubbs! Why'd you have to leave 1st base open with your silly double?! Jay Bruce rendered that moot, however, going the other way with a lasered double over Ryan Braun*. Reds lead, 2-0.
- The one pitch that Latos would like to have back was a 6th inning elevated fastball that Norichickarockachickaboom Aoki hit well out of RF. So what? Reds still lead, 2-1.
- Doing their best to give breathing room to whomever was tasked with getting the last 3 outs of the game, the Reds played add-on in the bottom of the 8th. Stubby-D lead off with a single, stole second, and scored when Phillips hit a blasted double to the wall in CF to make it 3-1. Unlike the last go-around, the Reds left in their starter, and Latos mowed down the Brewers to finish it out. Reds win, 3-1!
- Latos is now 6-2 on the season, and lead the Reds in strikeouts. 1970's statisticians would love this guy!
- Have a beer, a glass of wine, a scotch, or all three...smile...and listen to this. Just do it. Its what summer days are for, folks and folkettes.
- 34,485 fans came out to see the Reds play a Monday game against a sub .500 team. School's out Cincy fans...keep it up!