Saw this article on Grantland about potential buyers and sellers and thought we should expand here. I think Keri is correct in judging this team's biggest need to be LF. I decided to take a quick look at teams that are currently likely sellers and what OF offerings they may have.
According to Cool Standings Playoff Probability as of today, there are 9 teams with less than a 10% chance of making the playoffs.
- Kansas City, 9.7%
- Minnesota, 1.2%
- Seattle, 3.1%
- Miami, 4.3%
- Milwaukee, 9.4%
- Houston, 1.5%
- Cubs, 0.6%
- Colorado, 0.6%
- San Diego, <0.1%
For the time being, I think we should not include Miami as I don't think they want to market the image of a fire sale with currently being only 1 game short of 500. I also would suggest that the Brewers
and the Cubs would be unlikely trade partners due to being in the division, but I'll at least include them in the list.
- I doubt the Royals will be trading Alex Gordon and Francoeur is not an improvement.
- The Twins have both Willingham (signed through 2014) and, as Keri mentioned in his article, Span (signed through '14 with '15 option). I think either would be solid pick-ups for the Reds.
- Mariners have Saunders and Ichiro. Saunders hasn't proven himself at the MLB level and it Ichiro has been on the decline over the last few years.
- Brew Crew has Braun and Hart; trade prospects are impossible and highly unlikely, respectively.
- Houston has trash in the outfield.
- The Cubbies have DeJesus (signed through 2013) and Soriano (signed through 2014). I think DeJesus might be an interesting pick-up. The same can not be said for Alfonso as I'd imagine the Cubs wouldn't eat enough of his salary.
- Rockies have CarGo and Fowler. CarGo's not going anywhere, but Fowler would be an interesting option to move him to LF as his CF defense is deemed lacking.
- Lastly (appropriately), the Padres have Will Venable and Cameron Maybin. Don't think Venable is a viable option and I'm not quite sure what to think of Maybin. He seems perhaps too similar to Drew Stubbs to me.
So, my shopping list to give to Uncle Walt is (in order) : Willingham, Fowler, Span, DeJesus, Maybin