Saw this article on Grantland about potential buyers and sellers and thought we should expand here. I think Keri is correct in judging this team's biggest need to be LF. I decided to take a quick look at teams that are currently likely sellers and what OF offerings they may have.
According to Cool Standings Playoff Probability as of today, there are 9 teams with less than a 10% chance of making the playoffs.
- Kansas City, 9.7%
- Minnesota, 1.2%
- Seattle, 3.1%
- Miami, 4.3%
- Milwaukee, 9.4%
- Houston, 1.5%
- Cubs, 0.6%
- Colorado, 0.6%
- San Diego, <0.1%
- I doubt the Royals will be trading Alex Gordon and Francoeur is not an improvement.
- The Twins have both Willingham (signed through 2014) and, as Keri mentioned in his article, Span (signed through '14 with '15 option). I think either would be solid pick-ups for the Reds.
- Mariners have Saunders and Ichiro. Saunders hasn't proven himself at the MLB level and it Ichiro has been on the decline over the last few years.
- Brew Crew has Braun and Hart; trade prospects are impossible and highly unlikely, respectively.
- Houston has trash in the outfield.
- The Cubbies have DeJesus (signed through 2013) and Soriano (signed through 2014). I think DeJesus might be an interesting pick-up. The same can not be said for Alfonso as I'd imagine the Cubs wouldn't eat enough of his salary.
- Rockies have CarGo and Fowler. CarGo's not going anywhere, but Fowler would be an interesting option to move him to LF as his CF defense is deemed lacking.
- Lastly (appropriately), the Padres have Will Venable and Cameron Maybin. Don't think Venable is a viable option and I'm not quite sure what to think of Maybin. He seems perhaps too similar to Drew Stubbs to me.