Sure to be some excellent spin with that grip.
The Joe Nuxhall Memorial Honorary Star of the Game
- Jay Bruce got it going with an inside-the-parker in the second. Jason Bay dove and missed, sliding head-first into the wall in the process. He left the game with a concussion. Ryan Ludwick later hit an RBI double to make it 2-0.
- After a questionable HBP in the 3rd to Joey Votto (as in, whether it was intentional), Brandon Phillips delivered payback in the form of a more traditional
honked wangerPopped Daniels. 4-0.
- The Mets got one back in the 6th, but the Reds came back in the top of the 7th. With two runners on and Votto-Phillips coming up, the Mets pulled in their infielders against Wilson Valdez. Big mistake! Two-run double down the 3B line. 6-1.
- Scott Hairston (with a baseball bat) hit a 2RHR in the bottom of the 7th to narrow it to 6-3. Good night, Arroyo.
- To prove his earlier run production was no fluke, Wilson Valdez drove in, ahem, Willie Harris (who'd hit a double) to drive in the game's final run in the 9th. Aroldis took it from there.
- The baby just started crying, so other notes TBA. Not that you'll read them anyways. [Domestic update: Mrs. Ken returns; all rejoice]
- As Madville mentions in the comments, happy 63rd to Dusty. It's also the 74th anniversary of JVM's second no-no.
- Bruce's HR was the 6th inside-the-park HR in MLB this season, and first for the Reds since Drew Stubbs on June 17, 2011.
- Arroyo cruised for most of his outing. Struck out five and walked two, and allowed only four hits. But two of them were homeruns - and they were crushed.
- Arredondo, Marshall, and Chapman all pitched hitless, scoreless innings.
- BeeP's bopper gives him 22 RBIs in the last 18 games.
- Bears mentioning that not only did Willie Harris and Wilson Valdez both hit doubles, but they also each got a hit in the same inning. Spooky stuff.
- REO Speedwagon is apparently performing right about now at Citi.
- That picture wasn't just trolling - Bill O'Reilly really did throw out the first pitch. He was booed.