Zack Cozart is twice the size of Brandon Phillips, and is about to knock him out in hotbox. Mandatory Credit: Frank Victores-US PRESSWIRE
The Joe Nuxhall Memorial Honorary Star of the Game
I'll guarantee you that if you look really hard, you'll find a very happy (albeit very sunburned) jch24, -ManBearPig, Gramophone, and Rorschach with smiles on their faces. This is the kind of game you hope to see when you're heading to the game on a holiday weekend with frosty beers in mind.
Lots of guys went off today, but Brandon Phillips gets the nod thanks to his 3 run blast. Phillips was 2 for 4, as was Joey Votto, and Jay Bruce and Todd Frazier both pitched in with solo twice-baked potatoes.
- Honked wanger!
- Wanked honker!
- A donk!
- A hit by pitch, a single, and cheesecake!
- A pop, a fizz, a whackety whizz...chiddy chiddy bang wang lang!
- Reds win, 7-5!
- The 9 jabbowackees hit today set a new GABP single game record, besting the mark of 8 set last season.
- Knock these stats, stat knockers: Mat Latos' BABIP against today was .000, and his K/BB was infinite.
- Joey Votto was 8 for 11 in the series vs. the Rockies, with 4 doubles and a HR. He'll be the Reds starting 1B when they move into their next ballpark. Rejoice!
- Brandon Phillips' career slash line: .272/.322/.433. Brandon Phillips' season slash line after this game: .279/.333/.429. I used to think he was a low-OBP guy, but with this team, he's a world-beater.
- Rockies announcers could not get over how "homer friendly" GABP was. They should probably check this list for a bit of perspective.