The Joe Nuxhall Memorial Honorary Star of the Game
You win the game on a walkoff, you win the JNMHSotG. Todd Frazier hit an opposite field solo homer Christhian Martinez in the bottom of the 9th, giving the Reds a win in a solid pitcher's duel. When pundits speak of how the Toddfather must step up in the absence of Scott Rolen or the Reds will be "forced" to make a move, this is the kind of play they look for. Though he's struggled lately, this makes up for a lot, and ensures the Reds will win the 4 game series.
Honorable mention is due, big time, to Bronson Arroyo, who continues to turn the clock back past the days when he was a mediocre pitcher with mediocre stuff to the days when he was a mediocre pitcher with mediocre stuff who got the job done; BroYo went 6.2 innings, striking out 7 Braves while walking only 2. He allowed just 4 hits and a single ER, and did a solid job of shutting down one of the best offenses in the NL. Goodroyo, indeed.
- The game got off to a predictably slow start, as Arroyo pitched like he as all season and Tommy Hanson pitched like he has, when healthy, his entire career. The Braves struck first, however, as Dan Uggla slugged a solo porpoise off of Bronson in the top of the 4th. Braves lead, 1-0.
- Contrary to the prevailing theme of the series, the Reds small-balled their way to a run in the bottom of the 6th. After a Zack Cozart single, Chris Heisey singled and Brandon Phillips walked. Jay Bruce followed, and was damn thankful he'd lost those 18 lbs from last season, as he legged out what would have been an inning ending double play to plate Cozart via fielder's choice. Game tied, 1-1.
- The teams alternated scoreless frames until the Reds came to bat in the bottom of the 9th. After Mike Costanzo struck out, Todd Frazier stepped to bat, and promptly took the first pitch for a strike. Mildly impressed, mildly amused, he stepped out of the box, cocked his head, and thought back to the pregame conversation he'd had with several famed baseball analysts...
- Frazier then remembered the mantra espoused by the renowned jch24, -ManBearPig, FordhamRam, and BK... "Dude, just honk a wanger." Frazier obliged, and Reds nation rejoiced. Praise be to Toddfather, indeed. Reds win, 2-1.
- With the Reds win, they clinch the series with the Braves.
- Won Fransisscoyo was 0 for 4 with 2 K. He's now hitting .197/.225/no I don't miss him at all.
- I'd talk more, but I've got to run and grab a beer with RR's resident globe trotter, Cy Schourek. You folks behave...or don't, this was a big freaking win. We should honor Chipper Jones every series!