With two errors, two questionable plays on fly balls and this baffling tag-up on a pop out to 1B, the Reds were as lethal to their cause as the slugging Cedeno.
The Joe Nuxhall Memorial Honorary Star of the Game
- ALTERNATE TITLE: Home Run, Ronny, Run
- Over the last three games, Reds' starters have averaged just 5 innings per start. And Homer Bailey, who was great four games a go, only went 6.2. The Reds desperately need a few starters to get through the 7th.
- David Wright advanced from 1st to second on an error and scored on a sac-fly. Since Chapman struck out the merciless Cedeno on the very next at bat, he did not get tagged with an earned run. Still sitting 0.00.
- Learned some more stuff about R.A. Dickey. He has has no UCL, which made me wonder if you could have Tommy John implant surgery. Probably more fun just to become a knuckleballer.
- To my eye, Chapman's shaky inning looked more like unfortunate batted ball luck than anything else. Maybe putting Wright on first - or pitching Chapman back-to-back - were technically tactical blunders. But if Stubbs snares that dying quaily that bounced off his glove, he probably gets out of the inning with no runs, 2 K, 1 BB and less than 30 pitches.
- Stubbs and Cozart, the Reds' current 1 and 2 hitters, went a combined 0-9. Both are now getting on base below .300. Joey Votto's one-run homer was a convenient exhibit showing at least one of them needs to be relocated in the order.
- After the Mets' series, Todd Frazier is now doing a very healthy .295/.354/.659. Both he and Hanigan are good candidates to move up in the order, though I doubt they both will.
Next up: @Yankees, 7:05 EDT, Yankee Stadium. Bronson Arroyo is the age-appropriate choice to take on Andy Pettite, who makes his second start since returning to the majors. Reds are lined up pretty well for the three game series, throwing Cueto against Sabathia on Sunday.
|Final - 5.17.2012||1||2||3||4||5||6||7||8||9||R||H||E|
|New York Mets||0||0||0||0||2||1||1||5||X||9||12||0|
|WP: Bobby Parnell (1 - 0)
LP: Logan Ondrusek (3 - 1)