The Joe Nuxhall Memorial Honorary Star of the Game
It's days like today that will make Joey Votto worth $25 million a year when he's 40 years old. He won't be OPSing 1.000 by then, but I will sure as hell be playing replays of his walk-off grand slams, his 3 HR games, games he single-handedly carried us to victory, and, most especially, games where he does all of the above. Josh Hamilton is on a phenomenal hot streak, and Matt Kemp got off to a ridiculous start to the season; Carlos Beltran has been on a tear since signing as a Free Agent, and Jay Bruce has been fantastic; David Ortiz and David Wright have kept East Coast writers busy, but there is not a better offensive player in baseball right now than Joey Votto. He's a Red for life, folks, and we're damn lucky to have him.
A day after Ray Knight claimed that Adam LaRoche should be the NL starter in the All-Star game "if you look at the numbers," Votto went 4 for 5 with 3 HR, 6 RBI, 4 R, 2B, and a warning track shot. That's 15 total bases, but don't expect to hear much about it on ESPN. Jay Bruce (as he is wont) pitched in big time, too, going 1 for 3 with a 2 RBI 2B and a BB, while Ryan Hanigan went 2 for 4 with a run scored. Also, a hat tip to Mike Costanzo for a sac-fly RBI in his first MLB PA.
- Joey Votto.
- Want to know what happens when you don't walk Joey Votto? Today happens when you don't walk Joey Votto. Please, please, PLEASE don't take note NL Managers.
- After the Reds bullpen's mighty IP streak without yielding a run, they've fallen off a bit. Both Sam LeCure (1.2 IP, ER) and J.J. Hoover (1.1 IP, ER) gave up a run today from the 'pen.
- Entering today, Votto was 0 for 8 career vs. Edwin Jackson. From now on, when you look up SSS at wikipedia, THAT followed by today's box score should be the whole page entry. Please, please, PLEASE keep challenging this guy.
- Before the game got started, there was a 3 hour and 36 minute rain delay. While Jeff Brantley ate ice cream and George Grande shook hands, Albert Pujols got more terrible and Joey Votto decided to destroy the Nationals season. I mean that. Watch the Nats and see what their record is like from here out...I'm calling this as the turning point of their season.
- ams78 pooped his pants after Votto's game winner. Someone get him a wet nap (or some socks).