Apr 10, 2012; Cincinnati, OH, USA; New Reds 2B Willie Harris throws a ball, smirks, and says to himself, "nah, I couldn't hit that."
The Joe Nuxhall Memorial Honorary Star of the Game
Mike Leake (Mike Leake!) gave up a solo homer to Carlos Beltran in the first inning, and struggled to throw strikes to the next few batters, but he rallied to chalk up a Derek "DTF" H Quality Start, something only Johnny Cueto had been able to accomplish as the first turn of the Reds' rotation completed. Leake fell victim to a classic GABP moment in the 6th when David Freese's opposite field "shot" bounced off the top of the wall and into the right field seats, but aside from that was prototypical Mike Leake: 6 IP, 7 hits, 4 K, 3 ER over 99 pitches, with his only walk being a questionable HBP to Lance Berkman. Honorable Mention to Zack Cozart (1 for 3, 3B, R, HBP) and Jay Bruce (2 for 4, 2B).
- Leake opened the game by getting John Jay to ground out on the first pitch of the game, but two pitches later gave up a no-doubter to Carlos Beltran. A Matt Holliday single followed, along with a Lance Berkman HBP and a David Freese walk, but Leake got Necktats McGee to ground to Scott Rolen, who proceeded to step on the bag and turn the double play at first. Cards lead, 1-0.
- Fast forward to the 6th (seriously, if you are watching this on DVR, fast forward to the 6th. In fact, just delete this from your DVR and watch the Justified season finale. You'll thank me later.), where Lance Berkman and his semi-functional knee tripled to the wall in right field, and David Freese followed up with a line-drive home run off the wall in right. Cards lead, 3-0.
- The Reds tried to claw back in the bottom of the 6th (Reds have paws, and paws have claws), as Zack "MVP" Cozart tripled to open the inning. Joey Votto followed with a sac fly to center, scoring Cozart and clearing the bases. The Reds returned to their reticent ways. Cards win, 3-1.
- Willie Harris led off, and went 0 for 4, seeing 13 pitches in total.
- Brandon Phillips, fresh off his $72 (more) million contract, did not play due to a hamstring issue.
- The announced attendance was 17,110. Murray State University is located in Murray, KY, which has a population of 17,741. Neither Murray State nor the Reds have won a game against a higher seed in April.
- The Reds will take on the Cardinals again tomorrow at 12:35pm EST, with Johnny Cueto scheduled to face Jaime Garcia.
- Aroldis Chapman gave up no runs on no hits with no walks tonight. Unfortunately, Dusty and Walt weren't watching.
- This series has sucked. Royally.