Given that it's a slow time in between winter deals and pitchers and catchers, I thought I would crowd-source my house-hunting question. The general questions:
- What areas of Cincinnati are on the rise? What areas are on the decline?
- Where are good opportunities for bargains (i.e. homes with character, relatively safe neighborhoods, etc.)?
- Where in Cincinnati have you lived? How has it changed since first moving there?
- What areas do you recommend to friends moving to Cincinnati?
- Are the stereotypes of East Side/West Side true? Will they continue to be true 10, 20 years from now?
- Any thoughts/advice on house-hunting for my wife and I? More details after the jump...
We're looking for entry-level houses for two young professionals with a moderate amount of consumer/student debt. She grew up in the East Side and is pretty much looking at safe East Side choices (Anderson, Madeira, Milford, Fairfax, etc.). I'm not 100% opposed to this, but I'm not sure how much growth opportunity is there and I think a lot of the homes lack any character.
I grew up as a Navy brat and then went to high school in the Northern 'burbs here and really don't have any allegiance anywhere. I do not want to live in the outer suburbs, because: the houses are boring; the area is boring; and long-term, I think they will be stagnant or go downhill as tastes (Gen Y) change. If I were single, I think I would be buying in Price Hill, Walnut Hills, OTR, but I think I would have trouble convincing my wife (and my in-laws) that she would be safe there. Any thoughts on a good compromise here?