Last night featured a lot of good performances from Reds prospects. Start the overreactor!
- Louisville won 8-4 behind a strong start from Edinson Volquez. Should he be back on the Reds? I'm guessing he will be in September, but if Bronson Arroyo sucks again tonight, I think he should take his spot now. Anyway, Volquez lasted 6.1 IP, giving up 3 ER while striking out 6 and only walking 1. Juan Francisco and Denis "Frenchman" Phipps were each 2-4 with a homer. Is Phipps working his way into the Reds OF conversation for next season? Up Next: Scott Carroll starts at 7:05.
- Carolina lost 7-6. Henry Rodriguez was 2-4 with a double. After struggling mightily after his promotion to AA, Rodriguez has turned it on of late, and his line in Carolina is up to .289/.345/.393. I'd like to see a bit more power, but the 18/39 BB/K ratio is certainly encouraging. Hopefully he can take over for BP in 2013. Up Next: Justin Lehr starts at 7:15
- Bakersfield lost 10-2. JC Sulbaran struggled mightily, giving up 7 runs in 1.2 IP. Nobody did much on offense either. Up Next: Someone will start. It might be Chad Renken. Game starts at 10:30.
- Dayton had a great night, winning 5-1. Josh Smith was great, striking out 8 in 6 IP while allowing just the one run. Billy Hamilton was 2-4 with a walk and his 81st SB, Ronald Torreyes was 3-5 with a double, David Vidal was 2-4 with a double, Tucker Barnhart was 2-4 with a double, and Juan Duran was 2-3. My idea is that they just keep this team together the entire way, no matter what, and this exact lineup, plus Jay Bruce and Devin Mesoraco, can be the Reds starting lineup in 2015. What could go wrong? Up Next: Stalin Gerson starts at 7:07.
- Billings won 6-3. Ismael Guillon was better than he's been, going 5 IP of 2 run ball, striking out 5. I'd like to get him into the more pitcher-friendly environment of the Midwest League and see what he can do. A whole bunch of guys had 1 hit each. Up Next: Kyle McMyne starts at 9:15.
- AZL Reds were off. Up Next: They play at 2:00 today.