Joe Nuxhall Memorial Honorary Star of the Game
Johnny Cueto. Sure, there were some other great performances by Reds today, but Cueto pitched a complete game, three-hit shutout. In the process, he qualified for the ERA leaderboard and in fact took the lead with a 1.72 ERA. This guy is good.
- The Reds got this one off to a good start, scoring three in the first Drew Stubbs singled to lead off, followed by a Renteria single. A run scored on a Votto single, and another on a Brandon Phillips sac fly. Jay Bruce singled to score Votto as well. Reds lead, 3-0.
- Todd Frazier added a solo HR in the fourth inning.
- Keep in mind that the Giants weren't scoring anywhere in here...
- But the Reds got a fifth run in the fifth when Renteria walked, advanced to third on a Phillips single, and scored on a Bruce sac fly.
- The score remained 5-0 until the seventh, when Stubbs singled, Renteria singled, and Votto scored both of them (and himself!) with a HR to center.
- Yonder Alonso entered after that, and singled with Stubbs on second to make it 9-0 in the eighth.
- Once again, the Giants didn't score. Reds win!