Joe Nuxhall Memorial Honorary Star of the Game
Ramon Hernandez gets this one by going 4 for 5, with his most important hit coming at the end. Honorable mention to Joey Votto, who went 1 for 2 with 2 walks, a HR, and a sac fly.
- The first inning wasn't so great for the Reds. The first two batters, Rickie Weeks and Carlos Gomez, homered off of Edinson Volquez. He then walked Ryan Braun and gave up a single to Prince Fielder and a sac fly by Casey McGehee to make it 3-0, Brewers.
Drew Stubbs led off the bottom of the inning with a double and Brandon Phillips bunted him to third. He scored on a Joey Votto sac fly. Scott Rolen walked and Jay Bruce singled, but Jonny Gomes struck out to end the threat. Reds still down, 3-1.
- In the second, Wil Nieves led off with a double. After Yovani Gallardo struck out trying to bunt him to third, he scored on a Weeks double. Brewers lead, 4-1.
- The Reds threatened in the third. While BP and Rolen did nothing, Votto walked, Bruce singled, and Gomes walked to load the bases for Ramon Hernandez. He flied out to center.
- The Reds got one back in the fourth on a Stubbs solo HR. Still down, 4-2.
- Volquez let the Brewers get their lead back to three runs in the fifth, allowing a Braun solo HR.
Jordan Smith came in for Volquez in the top of the 7th, and it was kind of a mess. He struck out Weeks and got Gomez to line out to third, but then he gave up a single to left by Braun. Gomes fielded it lazily so Braun just went to second. The Reds then had Smith walk Prince Fielder to put runners on first and second. They each advanced a base on a balk, and then McGehee singled to left to score another run.
Kameron Loe struck out the side in the bottom of the seventh . . . except for a Votto solo HR. Brewers still up, 6-3.
- The Brewers brought in their closer, John Axford, for the ninth. BP responded by leading off with a single off of the CF wall. Votto then drew a walk, MVP-style. Rolen bounced one to third, and HOLY GOODNESS BP EVADED THE TAG AND ROLEN IS SAFE AT FIRST!
- With the bases loaded, Bruce struck out and Gomes hit one pretty hard to deep center but it was caught. Reds down 6-4 with two outs and Ramon Hernandez up...
- AND HE HIT IT OVER THE RIGHT FIELD WALL!
Pardon my shouting.
Check this out: