Joe Nuxhall Memorial Honorary Star of the Game
Daniel Hudson. The Diamondbacks pitcher was very effective against the Reds, going 8 innings of shutout baseball. He only allowed four hits and one walk, and struck out 8. Honorable mentions go to Justin Upton and Sam LeCure.
- Travis Wood didn't have his best stuff tonight, but he got dinked and dunked to ill effect in the fourth inning. Chris Young, Adam LaRoche, and Mark Reynolds all singled to start the inning. Reynolds's hit brought Young around to score the first run. Rusty Ryal struck out, but John Hester singled to load the bases. Augie Ojeda struck out, but Daniel Hudson singled. LaRoche scored, but fortunately for the Reds, Reynolds fell down rounding third base and was tagged out to end the inning. Diamondbacks lead, 2-0.
- The crumminess extended into the fifth inning. Tony Abreu doubled, and Justin Upton singled to bring him home. Diamondbacks lead, 3-0.
- The Reds couldn't touch Daniel Hudson all game. Fortunately, Juan Gutierrez came in to pitch the ninth inning. Orlando Cabrera led off with a single, and Joey Votto hit a laser shot off the wall. Any loft, and the Reds would have had two runs. Instead, there were runners on the corners with no outs. Scott Rolen and Jonny Gomes both struck out on three pitches each. Gutierrez wanted no piece of Jay Bruce and pitched around him, putting him on base with a walk. Drew Stubbs then got grazed by a pitch, forcing in Cabrera. Ramon Hernandez hit a deep fly to right field that looked like it would land and possibly win the game, but Justin Upton made a very nice running catch to end the game. Diamondbacks win, 3-1.
- This was the first game the Diamondbacks had won against the Reds since June 30, 2009.
- Aaron Harang made his season debut as a reliever, pitching a scoreless ninth inning. He walked his first batter (and was booed for it), but that man was caught in a rundown.
- Even though Wood only lasted five innings, he still struck out 8 batters. Reds starters have struck out at least 7 batters in the last five games in a row.
|Final - 9.14.2010||1||2||3||4||5||6||7||8||9||R||H||E|
|WP: Dan Hudson (6 - 1)
SV: Juan Gutierrez (9)
LP: Travis Wood (5 - 3)