Joe Nuxhall Memorial Honorary Star of the Game
Paul Janish. The Invisible Touch went 3-3 with a walk, a home run, four RBI, and reached in and grabbed right hold of our hearts. It was a big day for a lot of the Reds irregulars, so honorable mentions go to Juan Francisco, Jonny Gomes, and Laynce Nix.
- The Reds wasted a scoring chance in the first when Brandon Phillips was caught stealing second right before a Joey Votto double. The missed run looked worse when Andrew McCutchen led off the game with a home run off Johnny Cueto. It's good to see that McCutchen's all right, but damn. Pirates lead, 1-0.
- The Reds did get the run back in the second though. Juan Francisco hit a double, and Laynce Nix sacrificed him to third. Ramon Hernandez fouled out, but Paul Janish singled off of Jeff Karstens. Game tied, 1-1.
- In the fourth inning, an infield hit by Jonny Gomes and singles from Francisco and Nix loaded the bases. Hernandez hit a fly ball to center which scored Gomes, but Nix tried to tag up and go to second, where he was thrown out on the back end of a double play. Karstens intentionally walked Janish (respect!) and Johnny Cueto grounded out. Reds lead, 2-1.
- The bases were loaded again in the fifth inning with a one out single by Chris Heisey, a walk to Joey Votto, and a single by Gomes. Heisey scored when Juan Francisco grounded out, but Laynce Nix flew out to end the threat. Two bases loaded innings with less than two outs, and only two runs to show for it. Reds lead, 3-1.
- It wasn't until the seventh inning that the Reds really blew the game open. Chris Heisey singled off of Sean Gallagher to lead off the inning and moved to second on a passed ball. Joey Votto then doubled off of Wil Ledezma to bring home Heisey, and Jonny Gomes doubled to score Votto. Juan Francisco struck out, but Laynce Nix hit a triple and in came Gomes. Steven Jackson relieved Ledezma, but then walked Ramon Hernandez and gave up a three run homer to Paul Janish. Reds lead, 9-1.
- Russ Springer came in to pitch the seventh inning for the Reds, and after getting two quick outs, gave up an infield single to Ronny Cedeno. Springer then left with an injury, and Bill Bray gave up a home run to pinch hitter Jeff Clement. Reds lead, 9-3.
- Nick Masset allowed a home run to Pedro Alvarez in the ninth. Reds win, 9-4.
- Johnny Cueto has 31 career victories. Nine of them are against the Pirates.
- The Pirates have been outscored 44-6 in afternoon home games.
- The Reds are 31-18 against the NL Central, and 30-30 against everyone else.
- Jay Bruce made a pinch hit appearance in the seventh to extend his streak of playing in every game. He struck out.
|Final - 8.4.2010||1||2||3||4||5||6||7||8||9||R||H||E|
|WP: Johnny Cueto (11 - 2)
LP: Jeff Karstens (2 - 7)