Yeah, so this one was bad.
Joe Nuxhall Memorial Honorary Star of the Game
- No, seriously, this was horrible. Travis Wood gave up three runs in the first, one more in the second, another in the third, and then three more in the fourth. However, on the strength of two Brandon Phillips solo HRs, a Ramon Hernandez RBI single, and a two-run Scott Rolen HR, the Reds were only down 7-5 going into the bottom of the fifth.
- That didn't last, since Mike Leake came in to pitch. He gave up a single, a double, then a HR. Then another double, and a walk. After striking out Andrés Torres, he gave up another HR. Then a single before being pulled for Nick Masset, who induced an inning-ending double play. Giants up, 13-5.
- Even after all that, the Reds threatened in the sixth. Consecutive singles by Chris Valaika, Phillips, and Drew Stubbs loaded the bases with one out, but Joey Votto struck out looking after running the count full, and Scott Rolen flied out to right to end it.
- Sam LeCure came in to pitch the sixth, and gave up three more runs on a HR, two singles and a double. Giants up, 16-5.
- The two teams combined for three hits over the final three innings. I guess they were done with offense by this point.