What the hell does Travis Wood need to do to get called up to AAA?
- Homer Bailey dominated in his start in Columbus, but Jeff Kennard and the defense blew it and Louisville lost 2-1. Homer went 8 2/3 innings, and gave up 1 run on 6 hits, striking out 9. His effort went for naught in the end when with runners on 1st and 2nd with 1 out in the 10th, Kevin Barker committed an error to score the winning run. Darnell McDonald had two of the Bats 4 hits. Up next: and the Bats take on the Clippers in Columbus at 7:05.
- In another interesting development, Travis Wood was also dominant as Carolina blanked West Tenn 4-0. Woody pitched 7 shutout innings, and only gave up 1 hit while striking out 9. His ERA is down to 1.11. Todd Frazier and Chris Denove had two hits each, as did Featured Farmhand Zachary Cozart. Up next: Jordan Smith takes the hill against West Tenn at 6:15.
- Sarasota got dominated by the Lakeland Tigers, 9-1. Scott Carroll was less than dominant in his FSL debut, givng up 7 R (4 ER) in 4 innings. Denis Phipps was 1-for-4 and drove in the S- only run. Up next: takes on Lakeland at 6.
- Dayton had some trouble with Fort Wayne early, but ended up taking the game into extra innings, only to lose 5-4 in 10. J.C. Sulbaran's strike zone was dominated by the home plate umpire, as he only went 2 innings and walked 6 hitters. For example, here's how his 2nd inning went: walk, strikeout, double, walk, single (runner thrown out at the plate by David Sappelt), wild pitch, walk, walk, wild pitch, walk, strikeout looking. Yikes. He gave up 3 runs, and didn't come out for the 3rd. I'm not sure if his control problems were caused by injury or an off night, but it's been rare so far this season to have such a terrible outing. Jake Long hit his 1st HR of the year, and Kevin Coddington, Carlos Mendez, and Miguel Rojas all had two hits to contribute the Dragons offense. Jordan Hotchkiss gave up the winning run in his 4th inning of work. Really, Benzinger? Up next: Dayton takes on Fort Wayne at 7:05. No starter listed, as usual, but it should be Fairel or Ravin.
- Roster Moves: In Carolina, a few moves. James Avery is on the 7-day DL, and Dallas Buck was finally reactivated after a month and a half on the DL. Jerry Gil is also now with Carolina after putting up a 7.74 ERA in 10 starts in Sarasota. Great.