The Joe Nuxhall Memorial Honorary Star of the Game
Carlos Lee. Because there aren't any AP pictures of Wandy Rodriguez (vampire?). The Reds had no answer for El Caballo tonight, who went 3-3 with a walk, 1 RBI and 2 runs scored before being lifted for a defensive replacement in the 8th. Also, Wandy Wanding Rodriguez pitched seven innings of shutout baseball, allowing only two hits and two walks while striking out 10 (three of which were courtesy of Mr. Laynce Nix).
- The Astros got to Harang early with four straight singles in the first inning from Miguel Tejada, Carlos Lee, Hunter Pence, and Geoff Blum. The 'Stros showed no respect for Ramon Hernandez's arm, also swiping two bases.
- The Astros HAVOC'd their way to a run in the fifth when Michael Bourn singled to lead off the inning, stole second, then scored on Carlos Lee's double.
- In the 7th inning, Harang began to lose his cool. He plunked Miguel Tejada, then walked Lance Berkman on four straight balls. Dusty relieved him with Jared Burton and a frustrated Harang started throwing things around in the dugout. He couldn't have been happy to see Burton walk Lee, then give up doubles to Geoff Blum and Pudge Rodriguez, and a single to Darin Erstad, allowing four runs in the inning.
- When the Reds feebly attempted a rally in the 8th with a Ramon Hernandez walk, Alex Gonzalez immediately snuffed it out by grounding into a double play.
The Win Probability graph is depressing. It's here at FanGraphs if you want to see it.
- Normal Reds-killer Lance Berkman was held hitless, though he did score a run in the 7th after Harang walked him.
- Somewhat shockingly, Ramon Hernandez had thrown out 44% of attempted base stealers before this game, but Houston swiped three bags against him tonight. Now he's down to throwing out 33%.
- Brandon Phillips is 1-16 on this road trip and his batting average is down to .200.
- Jeff Keppinger did not play against his former teammates. He was a late scratch with a bad back.
- President George H.W. Bush and Barbara Bush were in attendance, witnessing the Reds' Thousand Points of Suck.
|Final - 4.18.2009||1||2||3||4||5||6||7||8||9||R|