For the second time this spring, the Reds have taken down the defending World Champions. It's almost becoming routine. The highlights:
- The Reds don't seem to be grasping the concept of HAVOC properly as they hit their 5th grand slam of the spring today. It was Chris Valaika's turn in this one, as his fancy four-run home run broke a 4-4 tie and put the Reds up for good in the 7th inning. As ken said in the game thread, I'm tired of the Reds sitting around waiting for the four-run home run. Let's see some real HAVOC out there!
- Ryan Hanigan is building a nice little case for more playing time so far. He's now batting .429 on the season after going 2-2 today with his first home run of the spring, a 2-run job in the 3rd off of the THE Cole Hamels. I know that Hanigan isn't likely to be an everyday catcher in the Bigs, but I sure hope that he gets a fair shot at some playing time this summer because he might just surprise us.
- Yonder Alonso had his first home run of the spring as well. He's now averaging a Mesoraco for the spring.
- Bronson Arroyo started the game but was only so-so today. He pitche 3.1 innings, allowing 3 hits (2 solo HR), 1 BB, and 2 strikeouts. He only allowed 2 runs, but he didn't make it very far into the game. I'm sure the Reds were hoping he'd go at least 4 innings this start. I hope they pulled him because of pitch count and not because of something more sinister.
- The bullpen was solid for the remaining 5.2 innings of the game with the star definitely being Daniel Ray Herrera who struck out 2 batters in his one inning of work. I really hope he makes the team. How can you not root for a guy like that?
- Josh Roenicke and Sam LeCure each pitched shutout innings. I'd be interested to hear where Dusty stands with Roenicke right now. Outside of the heat he was throwing in batting practice early in spring, we haven't heard much about him this year.
The Joe Nuxhall Memorial Honorary Star of the Game goes to Chris Valaika. Chris receives two tickets for a tour of the Louisville Slugger museum that must be redeemed by the end of May, which is good because he may not be down there much after that.