Saw this at Redszone then dug up this link
It's hard to believe, but it's actually happening:
Reds to cut Stanton BY JOHN ERARDI | JERARDI@ENQUIRER.COM
Reds manager Dusty Baker said this morning that the team has told reliever Mike Stanton that they are going let him go.
The move means the Reds will eat $3 million of Stanton's contract this season, and $500,000 next season.
Last season Stanton was 1-3 with a 5.93 ERA. He signed a two-year deal starting with the 2007 season, which included a one-year option for 2009.
Baker and Reds general manager Wayne Krivsky did not get into specifics, but Krivsky confirmed the news.
"We talked to Mike this morning," Krivsky said. "It was a very tough conversation."
Krivsky did not want to comment beyond that about the Stanton because the team has not officially made the announcement.
"Whatever Dusty told you is good enough for me. But nothing official has happened we don't have to do those kinds of things until Monday."
This is, so far, the biggest indicator to me that the Reds are actually serious about putting a competitive team on the field. I give some credit to Krivsky to realize the mistake he made, and kudos to Castellini to be willing to eat the remaining 3.5 mill on Stanton's contract. Of course, this move also clears a spot for Kent Mercker, who is another ancient lefty. I personally prefer Mercker to Stanton, but it might be a wash.