My ideas coming into the offseason for what the Reds should do were a lot different than what has actually been done. I hold out hope of a Blanton for Cueto+3 other non-Bailey/Bruce/Votto minor leaguers deal, but I'm at the point where I think we're basically set for the season. While I'm comfortable with what's been done, here's what my ideal (and, to me, realistic) offseason would've brought us:
- TRADE GRIFFEY AND VOTTO, MOVE DUNN TO FIRST BASE: I would've explored moving Griffey and Votto for quality relief pitching. I'm sure that we could've gotten a servicable reliever. Mark Kotsay (.575 OPS, 56 games, lingering back issues in '07) and some cash got Joey Divine, a former 1st rounder! Maybe if we'd jumped in early we could've landed Brad Lidge? Huston Street?
- DEAL FOR BLANTON - I still think that Cueto + a maybe Frazier, Dorn, and Soto may be enough for Blanton. I think that he'd become the #2 guy for the Redlegs for the next 3 years. Plus he's from Kentucky. Maybe with Cueto, Votto, and some others would get us Blanton + Street.
- GUARANTEE HOMER A SPOT: Harang, Arroyo, and Blanton will eat a ton of innings. That'll give Bailey and the #5 pitcher less pressure to go deep into games.
- SIGN 2 VETERAN PITCHERS TO WIN THE #5 SPOT: I'd like to have seen a deal to Prior. Affeldt is fine for me.
- CUT/TRADE CASTRO & STANTON. A bag of balls would due.
- KEEP CANTU for a RH bat off the bench. He plays a decent 3rd or 1st.
- DON'T USE A RULE 5 PICK ON AN A-LEVEL PLAYER WITH AN ERA LIKE STANTON'S. If you want to burn money, just give it to me. Or lower ticket prices!
1B- Dunn (4)
2B- Phillips (3)
SS- Gonzalez (7)
3B- Encarnacion (5)
RF- Hopper (1)
CF- Hamilton (2)
LF- Bruce (6)
C1- Ross (8)
RP- Trade acquisition
Taking on Lidge's, Street's, and Blanton's salaries would less than the salaries of Griffey and Cordero.
That was what I was picturing. Any thoughts?